Monday, September 15, 2014

What's In A Heritage?

As someone who is of mixed race, containing four or five known heritages, I find it hard to embrace any one of them as most people do. Usually when I'm filling out some form that asks me to pick a race, I have a moment of indecision. Do I feel more black today? or Spanish? maybe I should just go with Indian! hell why not! To tell you the truth I don't feel like I'm anything. I don't look at myself and see black, or Spanish, or Italian or native. I don't see any of it. I don't pick apart my features the way other people do. People always ask me what I am, they know I'm mixed obviously and when I tell them to guess they always say black first, because of my hair they say. I've never understood being "proud" of your heritage. I've never felt the need to boast about my background, honestly I hate when people ask. As if knowing will give them a better understanding of who I am. We are a product of our environment, my race does not make me who I am. It only determines whether I will be embraced by society.

No comments:

Post a Comment