Monday, July 21, 2014

Sorry Sir, You Can't Sleep Here.

A couple buildings over from my apartment, a man made his bed on the dirt ground behind a bush. When I say he made a bed, I simply mean he laid down on the ground and slept. I've seen him there a few times as I walked by either at night or early morning on my way to work. But I noticed recently that someone had placed a couple of large cement blocks in that spot. A vague but obvious way of saying, "Sorry, we don't want you making your home here. We don't want you finding shelter from the elements, We just don't wan't you here period."

Now Imagine for a moment that a dog had made his home there...You would have found a big bowl of water and dog food proudly displayed on a fucking pedestal of golden dog treats! You would have found people checking in to make sure that the dog was eating and cared for. And someone would be searching frantically for their owner or possibly a new home.

I just stood there for a moment staring at those concrete blocks, imagining how that man must have felt. Why do we insist on kicking people when they are down? Why are we so quick to treat them as if they were less than an animal? Practically a smear of shit along their walkway making them turn away their noses! How can anyone believe that it couldn't happen to them or someone they love and not feel even the slightest bit of compassion? How could you?

No comments:

Post a Comment